PCA and Creation Report

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 19:54:38 EST

    As a PCA member and past deacon, I followed a good deal of the discussion. Anyone wanting much more on the topic (including numerous comments of varying quality by me) can go to the PCANEWS.com website.

    Some of the local presbyteries saw young-earth creation as a necessary view for prospective pastors and elders; others accepted a variety of views. The intent of the committee's report was partly to address such issues. The Westminister Confession of Faith does refer to creation in six days, and seems to specifically reject the Augustinian option of instantaneous creation. To some degree, two issues were mixed: what was the original intent of the Westminister authors, and what is an acceptable view for PCA officers?

    The report does seem to rule out full evolutionary continuity with regard to humans; I am not quite sure how a view like Glenn Morton's would have been assessed. It does have some endorsement of YEC claims of low merit in the calendar day discussion. If I can get sufficiently caught up on other things, I will compile comments on the report for further consideration by the denomination (or at least by a couple of pastors whom I know fairly well).

    As has been noted, the Presbyterian Church in America split from the former southern branch of the Presbyterian Church over concerns over excessive liberalism at the denominational level. In addition to issues already mentioned, the ordination of non-believers went over rather poorly, and there was a general perception that the denomination was often acting over the heads of the local churches and presbyteries. Anyone particularly interested in the history of the denomination should look at Paul Settle's book To God all Praise and Glory.

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
    "Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!