Re: So. Baptist Spin on BOE Vote

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 18 2001 - 19:35:19 EST

    > While John Wiester didn't say here that he was speaking for the ASA,
    >that will certainly be the
    >impression that most readers will get, and the account gives no indication that
    >he tried to avoid that result. The fact that he is a member of the science
    >education committee gives him no more authority to speak for the organization
    >than any other has. Even the way in which ASA's position is described, with
    >the term "ideology", is misleading. An honest report would have pointed out
    >that many ASA members thought that the previous Kansas standards which omitted
    >the big bang and evolution were absurd.
    > This kind of thing gives the ASA a bad name in the scientific community
    >and among theologically literate Christians. Many people in both communities
    >(which of course overlap) already think of the ASA as an organization which is
    >suspicious of evolution. If we really are to be neutral on evolution then
    >members have the obligation to try to avoid having their own views represented
    >as those of the organization.

    I have repeatedly had to do fire brigade action on behalf of the ASA for
    just such reports. The ASA is immediately suspect in many academic
    quarters, and it requires a constant effort to inform them that the ASA is
    a diverse organization with a significant range of scientific expertise and
    theological views.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology