Re: New Kansas Science Stds.

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 11:24:03 EST

    On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:39:57 -0500 kbmill@ksu.edu (Keith B Miller)
    writes:

    >Teaching science is not about
    > compelling belief, it is always about introducing students to a way of
    > learning about the world around us, and demonstrating the observation
    basis
    > for our current theorectical understanding.

    As I see it, the problem arises when you withhold information which
    undermines "our current theorectical understanding," which is why Wiester
    said: "The new Kansas science standards tilt toward indoctrination
    rather than education." If you, Genie Scott, et al could bring
    yourselves to be candid in the presentation of *all* of the data, then
    you would blunt the criticism you rightly receive.

    On February 8, 2001, the Alabama State School Board voted unanimously to
    approve an updated science curriculum with yet another warning: "The
    theory of evolution by natural selection is a controversial theory that
    is included in this document. It is controversial because it states that
    natural selection provides the basis for the modern scientific
    explanation for the diversity of living things. Since natural selection
    has been observed to play a role in influencing small changes in the
    population, it is assumed, based on the study of artifacts, that it
    produces large changes, even though this has not been directly observed."

    A number of educators and a few ministers, who refuse to tolerate any
    criticism of the theory of evolution, stridently objected to this
    warning. The Board approved it anyway. Board member Bradley Byrne (an
    evolutionist) said: "I have no problem with a preface that says we should
    teach our theories, certainly the most widely accepted theories, but at
    the same time ask our children to question them and keep an open mind."

    When you say that "science is .... demonstrating the observation basis
    for our current theorectical understanding," rather than saying that
    science is presenting not only data in support of but also against our
    current theoretical understanding, then it seems that you yourself
    provide the basis for Wiester to say that your standards "tilt toward
    indoctrination rather than education."

    Phil Johnson says "Teach the controversy." How can a conscientious
    educator do anything less? The members of the Alabama Committee who
    drafted the new warning, and the members of the Alabama State School
    Board who approved it, certainly found they could not settle for less.

    What am I missing, Keith? Have I misunderstood what you are saying?

    Bill