Old or Young

From: M.B.Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 17:46:35 EST

    Is intelligent Design shooting itself in the foot over Kansas? Having defended ID against charges of cohabiting with YEC they seem to have been caught in the act!!
    Of course ID has made less impact in Britain than in the USA, but all the time I have considered ID I have felt that it is very iffy about the age of the earth. In fact some seek to avoid the issue and regaard it as a non-essential aspect. For example Philip Johnson and Nancy Pearcey. By doing so they implicitly reject all evidences for an ancient earth and thus in effect dive into the arms of Henry Morris.

    This report posted by Kieth Miller confirms this.

    Weister as a geologist should be aware of the YEC flaws in their concern over sevaral m.y. old rocks from th eSt helens eruption of 1980. All geologists know things like that happen for very good reason. Even worse when we get the Kiluewa (check thsi!!) from Hawaii with inclusions up to several b.y.

    Perhaps after Baylor, when I felt great symapathy of Dembski, ID is inevitably going to become the intellectual arm of YEC but YEC all the same. This will be a great shame as I have thought ID has something to offer all of us, even if only to make a TE like me reassess my own position.

    All IDers need to be asked "Is the world 4.6 by years old?" or is it only 10,000?

    Instead of fighting over this we need to opppose those who use evolution to support athesim and reductionism. All this is to their advantage.

    Michael Roberts