Re: Miracles and Science

From: Iain Strachan (iain@istrachan.clara.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 14:08:51 EST

    > You missed my point. I don't want to argue the literal meaning of a
    > biblical translation.
    > The point is that there are numerous instances of miracles in the Bible
    > that lend themselves
    > to natural explanation. That does not make them any less miraculous. The
    > timing of those
    > events made all the difference historically. Had they not occurred when
    > they did, the outcome
    > would have been different. God doesn't draw a distinction between what
    > Iain calls Big miracles
    > and Small miracles.

    I can't remember coining the phrase "big miracles" and "small miracles".
    Perhaps a more appropriate phrase would be "micro-miracles" and
    "macro-miracles". And I agree that God doesn't draw a distinction between
    them.

    But it seems to me that scientists tend to prefer micro-miracles because it
    seems they can be explained away by natural causes, or by coincidence. You
    pray for something to happen and it happens, and you praise God for it. But
    it could be explained by coincidence; a skeptic would say that it was the
    consequence of natural causes, and would have happened whether or not you
    prayed for it.

    I think the case of the parting of the Red Sea could easily be argued either
    way. Maybe God set up a chain of cause and effect (of the butterfly wings
    flapping variety) that caused a mighty wind to spring up at just the time
    where they needed it. Each event in the chain wouldn't have that low a
    probability, but the whole sequence would end up having a staggeringly low
    probability; hundreds of little events chained together. Alternatively, one
    could argue that the wind was whipped up supernaturally, or that the wall of
    water was held there supernaturally. Again the probability of this
    happening by natural causes is staggeringly low (all the atoms just
    happening to be in the right place at the right time along the lines of
    Douglas Adams's "Infinite improbability drive" in "Hitchhiker's guide to the
    Galaxy"). The latter explanation is of course vastly more improbable than
    the first one, but when it comes to miracles one can't really argue
    probabilities; what does it matter if P = 10^-100 or 10^-1000; it is still a
    miracle?

    On the whole, I think I prefer the "macro-miracle" interpretation to the
    "chain of micro-miracles" one. In John 9:3 Jesus explains that the man was
    born blind so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. What
    happened was a clear supernatural miracle, displaying for all to see the
    work of God and even then they refused to acknowledge it. (Though doubtless
    if someone knows about the sight restoring properties of mud, they will
    advise me on it ;-). I think that God reveals himself through
    macro-miracles, and also His hand is present through chains of subtle
    micro-miracles. But when something in Scripture looks on straightforward
    reading to be a macro-miracle, I can't see the point of straining too hard
    to find a "naturalistic explanation".

    Best regards
    Iain.