Re: PCA Creation Report

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 12:49:44 EST

    In a message dated Tue, 13 Feb 2001 7:57:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Jack Haas" <haasJ@mediaone.net> writes:

    << I have placed the Presbyterian Church of America Report on Creation at the ASA web site. This long (perhaps 60 pages, depending on your font size) document reflects the desire of a conservative denomination to come to grips with our favorite topic. Although there is something that will offend everyone, this careful and comprehensive study lays out the subject in an impartial fashion that provides a reading of the values and problems of the major views and concludes that the church should be able to live with diversity. >>

    I obviously haven't taken the time to read the document yet. But I did read the article by John McIntyre in the December issue of Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith which had the brief statement adopted by the PCA.

    That statement, as reported in the article, appeared to take a hard-line "creationist" position, leaving no room for anything besides instantaneous fiat creation in six literal days (maybe a little wiggle room for the days to be more than 24 hours).

    How could a study that "concludes that the church should be able to live with diversity" produce such a narrow summary statement?
    Is the "live with diversity" part just that they did not declare those who disagree with their narrow interpretation to be heretics?
    Or was the statement quoted in the PSCF article independent of the document you pointed us to?

    Allan Harvey, steamdoc@aol.com