Re: PCA Creation Report

From: Joel Duff (joelduff@nls.net)
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 08:54:23 EST

    At 02:12 PM 2/13/01 +0100, you wrote:

    Hello Jack and other,
    can someone help a non-American here.

    Jack writes that PCA is a "conservate denomination".
    I thought that PCA was a mainline denomination of a liberal type.
    Am I mixing two denominations here ?
    And - which denomination is Princeton Seminary affiliated with ?

    Best regards from Inge in Norway

    Inge,

    Princeton I believe is still associated in some fashion with the PCUSA.  The PCUSA is the mainline presbyterian church in the US.  It is from that church that others have split off over the past 50-100 years to form (or more properly, maintain) more conservative lines of historical presbyterianism.  The PCA (Presbyterian Church in the US) is still founded on the Westminister Confession of Faith and firmly grounded in the Calvinistic tradition whereas the PCUSA has little identity anymore though there are elements of its history in some isolated churches.   The PCA is very small compared to the PCUSA (200,000 members vs many millions).  Other small conservative presbyterian denominations in the US are the OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church), BPC (Bible Pres. Chruch), RPCNA (Reformed Presbyterian Church in North America) and several others.   Hope that helps.
    Joel
    PS. In case your wondering the host site of this list in the past has been Calvin College which is not a presbyterian school but rather the school of the CRC (Christian Reformed Church) which holds doctrines very similar to those of the reformed presbyterians but differ in form of government (ie. no presbyterian).