Re: Miracles and Science

From: Iain Strachan (iain@istrachan.clara.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 18:57:05 EST

    Dear Gordon,

    I stand corrected on the idea of wind being used to divide the sea; I
    should have checked the text!

    However I believe that the original point still stands; I don't think there
    is any conceptual difference between the Lord causing something to happen by
    lots of subtle invisible "interventions" and one big one.

    Presumably miracles of the type of raising someone from the dead, turning
    water into wine, walking on water, or indeed a withered arm growing back (as
    I reported in an earlier post- about third hand) would be of the latter
    kind.

    I guess it's just that the "big spectacular" kind is far more difficult for
    a skeptic to explain away. I once had spoken to a caller at the Samaritans
    for half the night, ending with the complete conviction that they were going
    to kill themselves. I prayed, exhaustedly, that they would be found before
    it was too late. What must have been no more than five minutes later, the
    callers boss woke up, decided they were worried about the caller, and rushed
    round to their house to find the pills taken, papers arranged in order and
    so forth. The caller was rushed to hospital in time and was saved. Now a
    skeptic could well shrug that off as "coincidence", though I would consider
    it a miracle (another volunteer, also a Christian, rang to tell me the next
    day). But on the other hand, a very visible, spectacular healing could not
    in any way be so easily shrugged off.

    Iain.