Re: Miracles and Science

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 12:11:55 EST

    Ian wrote as follows (in part):

    " First of all, I am assuming that as ASA is a group that stands for
    fidelity to the bible, that most people here don't have a problem with,
    say the miracles of Jesus. But I would maintain that scientists are
    trained to look for naturalistic causes of things; to push out the
    supernatural in favour of the natural."

    You had a lot more in that post, and I appreciate it. The "miracle" story
    you related is almost unique. It is a great
    story. Someday we will understand it!

    Thanks for your comment on the story in my web site. For some reason it
    has disappeared
    and I'll have to get up there (out there?) to see what happened.

    I was thinking more about what you wrote. As scientists, we pretty much
    adhere closely
    to William of Ockham's "razor" principle, and I think I respect that. For
    me, that is because my
    training (physics -- Carnegie Tech -- 1950s) seemed to have left me with
    a couple of guiding
    principles which still seem "bedrock" to my thinking:

    1. The principle of methodological naturalism foe any scientific
    investigation
    2. The principle that science is a search for what works, not a search
    for "truth."

    Richard Dickerson, in an issue of PERSPECTIVES some years ago, suggested
    that these two
    principles (he was not being pejorative) mean that science is really a
    "game," a game in which
    we assume natural causation only and see how far we can go with
    explanatory and predictive theories.
    At first I did not like this idea, but eventually I've come to embrace
    it. The word "game"need not be
    a pejorative term. The "game" concept also allows me to understand the
    razor principle
    as a bedrock concept.

    Recently, Plantigna has suggested that the above is more a definition of
    science than
    anything very basic, and he may have a point there. But, then, he is a
    philosopher, not
    a scientist himself.

    Elsewhere I've commented to George Murphy on the Kingsley quotation, so
    I'll refer you to that
    post. Is the universe we inhabit a "finished thing" (Van Till's ideas) or
    is it more
    like a violin on which God sometimes plays a tune. The fact is that we
    know that God
    has "played a tune"on it on occasion -- the Cana wine is my favorite
    example. I do not
    see that "playing a tune" makes his attributes any less wiser (Kingsley)
    than if he had
    "fully endowed" the universe from the start. Indeed, I have a difficulty
    admiring the God Van Till
    and Kingsley propose as much as one who gets involved with us more often.

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    www.Burgy.50megs.com

    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.