Re: More on Gosse's OMPHALOS

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 11:51:13 EST

    George wrote:

    " I'd like to call your attention to a point I made about this some
    time ago. While this argument may have been valid in the 19th century, I
    think that the development of modern cosmology completely undoes it. Big
    bang cosmology and its extensions show the possibility of a development
    of
    all material structures in terms of natural processes, and thus would
    have no
    need of any structures with "apparent age".
            This does NOT mean that science could describe _creatio ex
    nihilo_ in
    the theological sense, for it must begin with "something" - quantum
    fields,
    strings, or whatever, & the mathematical patterns to which they conform.
    But
    it does mean that there need be no objects which appear to be older than
    they
    actually are. The ages inferred by scientific means for remnants of the
    big
    bang, galaxies, stars, atoms &c are their real ages. Kingsley may have
    overreached the science of his time, but subsequent developments seem to
    have
    vindicated this theological assertion of his: "We knew of old that God
    was
    so wise that He could make all things; but behold, He is so much wiser
    than
    that, that He can make all things make themselves.""

    Yes, I know you have made that point before. It is, however, tangential
    the point I was making.

    The operative word in Kingsley's quote (which was new to me -- thank you
    for it)
    is the word "can." The place Kingsley goes wrong in it, IMHO, is in the
    phrase "is
    so much wiser." That is, of course, a gratituous comment by the creature
    (Kingsley)
    on the creator, using the ceature's human-derived standards to decide
    which
    kind of god is the wiser.

    Burgy (John Burgeson)

    My web site worked well for a couple days then one of the subsidiary
    files seems to
    have gotten lost. I'll work on it if Juno ever lets me back on the
    internet. It's a "free"
    service and I'm getting what I paid for! < G >

    www.Burgy.50megs.com

    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.