Re: Miracles and Science

From: Iain Strachan (iain@istrachan.clara.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:16:47 EST

    John wrote,

    > I was thinking more about what you wrote. As scientists, we pretty much
    > adhere closely
    > to William of Ockham's "razor" principle, and I think I respect that. For

    I too am a devotee of Occam's "razor", and it is often invoked in my field
    (Neural networks and Probabilistic modelling), in a probabalistic form; the
    most simple "explanation" is also the most probable one.

    However, the problem is that atheistic scientists such as Richard Dawkins
    and Peter Atkins then use the Razor to shave out God. Once we have
    establisted that everything can spontaneously arise by chance processes
    (evolution), then we already have a "lazy Creator". Once this can then be
    pushed even further to the idea of an infinitely lazy Creator, who has to do
    precisely nothing to explain everything, then by the principle of Occam's
    Razor, we can (and should) eliminate the Creator altogether, because He had
    nothing to do.

    James Taggart wrote:

    There is a slightly different view you can take on the seeming conflict
    between miracles and science, particularly biblical miracles. In many
    cases, the issue may not be how the event took place, but rather when. I
    am willing to believe that the parting of the Red Sea for the Israelites
    was a fortuitous confluence of wind, tide, and perhaps sand drift that
    enabled the Israelites to cross on foot.

    It seems there are two possible views of the miraculous at work here:

    (1) God working subtly through natural processes, but causing natural events
    to happen at the right time.

    (2) God deliberately and spectacularly violation the laws of Physics to
    produce a visible miracle.

    I'm kind of inclined to think that the two are really no different. Take
    the parting of the Red Sea example. Actually I find it a little bit hard to
    believe that meteorological conditions could naturally cause the sea to
    part, but suppose that was possible without "miracles". We still have to
    understand how God caused the "coincidence" to happen. It is often said of
    chaos theory (I believe?) that the flapping of a butterfly's wings can cause
    a tornado the other side of the world three weeks later. So it's possible
    that the small, subtle change of an event might cause such a thing to
    happen. And clearly the calculation of the consequences would be easy for
    an omnipotent creator. But when it comes down to it, there is still a
    violation of the natural order, where God "intervenes" and causes the
    butterfly, or whatever, to flap its wings in just the right direction to
    cause the wind that parted the sea. Thus, information is planted in from
    outside that makes the course of history change. The information is
    ultimately the firing of electrical pulses in a set of neurons, and
    therefore is still "miraculous"; God had to change the electrical signals
    from what they were going to be; and conceptually I can't really see the
    difference between that, and a miraculous parting of the sea by unnatural
    causes (except in scale).

    Hope that makes some sense!
    Iain.