RE: Oklo

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@AECL.CA)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 09:49:12 EST

    Dave,

    Thanks for this reference. I have copied the section that you referred to
    directly from the ICR web page:

    "Dr. Eugene Chaffin, editor of the Creation Research Society Quarterly and
    professor at Bluefield College in Virginia, led off a series of three
    physics presentations with, "A Study of the Variation in the Neutron
    Resonance and Effective Capture Cross Section of Samarium for the Oklo
    Natural Reactor." The Oklo natural reactor is a fissionable deposit of
    uranium which accumulated in a sandstone layer in Africa and was apparently
    active during Earth history. By looking at residual daughter elements, Dr.
    Chaffin has attempted to show that the natural reaction would be consistent
    with a young Earth, but not one which is billions of years old. If an
    accelerated decay event occurred, the concern is that the ore in the Oklo
    natural reactor would not be present in the measured amounts. In this
    presentation, Dr. Chaffin calls into question the treatment of the
    calculated cross section of the samarium isotopes which act as "poisons" in
    the reactor to slow down the process. He suggests that several variables in
    the calculation of nuclear cross section could change by orders of magnitude
    under conditions of an accelerated decay rate."

    Note that Chaffin did not provide any scientific evidence to show that the
    Oklo phenomenon was consistent with a young earth. He only offers an
    unsupported argument that "If an accelerated decay event occurred ..." The
    calculation of cross section is a bit of a red herring because the Oklo
    event could only have occurred with a 235/238U ratio much higher than the
    current one.

    Chuck Vandergraaf