Re: A YEC apologetic (was "Antediluvian Period")

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 18:31:56 EST

    gordon brown wrote:

    > ...I want to know how you manage to interpret both of the words `day'
    > and `die' literally in Gen. 2:17 ...

    Gordon,

    Clearly, since Eve did not literally 'give up the ghost' following the
    eating of the fruit on that fateful day (Gen.3:6), we infer that the
    word 'die' has to refer to deadness of a different kind - as, for
    example, the loss of feeling in the hand that might be caused by poor
    circulation of blood in the arm. Thus, with the broad sweep of
    scriptural truth in mind, 'die' in this context has to mean 'separation
    from God'; in other words, the fellowship with God that Adam and Eve had
    hitherto enjoyed ceased at that point.

    I think we can agree that the remainder of the Bible is all about the
    rebuilding of that relationship.

    Vernon