Re: A YEC apologetic (was "Antediluvian Period")

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 12:46:26 EST

    Vernon -- you wrote:

    "...For example, man pretends that his knowledge of the
    inner workings of the atom is so complete that he is justified in
    believing radioactive decay rates to remain constant over deep time.
    Surely, such an article of faith - for it is scarcely anything less -
    cannot be allowed to dictate the manner by which we read and understand
    the Word of God! ..."

    I think that is not quite it. First of all, we do not "pretend" that
    our knowledge is anywhere complete, or even that it represents
    "truth" in the ultimate sense. What we do is observe that current
    theories of radioactive decay seem to (in the mathematical sense
    at least) hold together -- what E. O. Wilson calles "Consillience."
    And that any assumption that those rates may have been
    substantially differerent in the past leads to incoherence
    in physics.

    All in all, there does not appear ANY reason at all -- not
    even an assumption of an inerrant Bilble -- to suspect that
    these rates are anything less than "constant over deep time."

    Well -- yes -- there is one reason -- if one makes a certain
    (unjustified IMHO) assumption about haw to interpret
    early Genesis, as you apparently have.

    When you make that assumption, Vernon, you necessarily have
    to throw out a great deal -- 90%? -- of what we know works
    in science and replace it with incoherence.

    One must, in the last analysis, choose one's position on
    what makes the most sense. It boggles my mind to think that
    anyone scientifically trained can choose a YEC position.

    Burgy
    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.