Re: Physics inquiries

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@calvin.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 11:05:03 EST

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, bivalve wrote:

    > I will be helping lead a discussion on creation-related issues that
    > brings up a couple of physics questions.
    >
    > One is on the general level of consensus regarding cosmological
    > ideas. Do multiple universe models have much following, or just in the
    > more popular press?

    In my experience, the quantum-mechanical-measurement version of "many
    universes" has a very tiny follow amongst physicists. (But some of those
    followers do make a lot of noise.)

    The inflationary-cosmology version of "many universes," while still
    speculative, is taken more seriously by many more physicists. There are
    several pieces of data, for which there is strong experimental support
    (the universe is "flat", far-distant parts of the visible universe seem to
    have been in thermal equilibrium in the past, and a few other pieces of
    data), which are predicted/retrodicted by inflationary cosmology and are
    NOT predicted by "standard" Big-Bang cosmology. It may be that future
    developments in particle physics will explain this data without the need
    for "inflation," but right now, inflation seems like the best suggestion
    out there for explaining this data. If something like inflationary theory
    is true, it suggests the existence of many different universes, universes
    similar to our own, operating under the same general "Theory of
    Everything", but possibly with different particle masses and different
    nuclear/electromagnetic force strengths.

    > My other question regards the accuracy of simplified descriptions of
    tunneling. In Not a Chance, R. C. Sproul objects to a simple description
    > of tunneling as an electron popping out of existence in one spot and
    > appearing in another. If I remember correctly, wave functions do not
    provide much of an absolute limit on the location of a particle (although
    > the probability is quite low for distant places), so that in a way
    > tunneling might be viewed as a low-probability region becoming a
    > high-probability region rather than an actual example of
    > non-continuity. I did not think much of his argument, but am wondering
    how much the argument reflects an overly simple version of quantum ideas
    > rather than a real issue.

    Your description is much closer to QM's mathematical formalism than
    Sproul's.

    Loren Haarsma