Physics inquiries

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 17:34:16 EST

    I will be helping lead a discussion on creation-related issues that brings up a couple of physics questions.

    One is on the general level of consensus regarding cosmological ideas. Do multiple universe models have much following, or just in the more popular press?

    My other question regards the accuracy of simplified descriptions of tunneling. In Not a Chance, R. C. Sproul objects to a simple description of tunneling as an electron popping out of existence in one spot and appearing in another. If I remember correctly, wave functions do not provide much of an absolute limit on the location of a particle (although the probability is quite low for distant places), so that in a way tunneling might be viewed as a low-probability region becoming a high-probability region rather than an actual example of non-continuity. I did not think much of his argument, but am wondering how much the argument reflects an overly simple version of quantum ideas rather than a real issue.

    Thanks!

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
    "Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!