Re: A NT doctrine of creation (was canon within the canon)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 08:09:06 EST

    Jonathan Clarke wrote:

    > Hi George
    >
    > Care to expand?
    >
    > :-)
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > george murphy wrote:
    >

    > > > I agree. If Christ is head over all things and yet came to not be served but to
    > > > serve, this says something very interesting about human "dominion" of creation
    > > > in Genesis 1 and Psalm 8. In what way are we to serve creation?
    > >
    > > & to take this another step: If cosmic and biological evolution is (& I
    > > certainly think it is) part of the way in which God achieves the eschatological goal
    > > set out in Eph.1:10, then an adequate theological understanding of evolution will
    > > have to be christological.

    For a start -
            1) God's participation in the evolutionary process via the Incarnation, including
    suffering and death, puts a new light on natural selection as God's creative activity and
    the theodicy quations associated with it.
            2) In the Incarnation, the Word of God takes on the evolutionary history and
    organic relationships with other species of humanity. Thus in a sense all life on earth -
    and not just _Homo sapiens_ - is assumed by the person of the Word. This makes it
    possible to think about how the reconciliation of "all things" (Col.1:15-20, cf. also
    Rom.8:18-25) can take place through the Incarnation.
            3) Though biology alone can't speak of evolution as having a "purpose" or "goal",
    it does have such a purpose when evolution is understood theologically - Eph.1:10.
            4) On a larger scale, anthropic principles should not be understood as saying
    simply that the _anthropos_ is the purpose of the universe. That purpose is, rather, the
    development of intelligent life as preparation for God's indwelling of creation in the
    Incarnation (Jn.1:14).
            5) The Body of Christ is the future of evolution.

            I've written about these things previously but my purpose here is to stimulate
    some conversation rather than advertise. Some of the publications are listed on my
    website for those interested.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy