Re: Where is man?

From: Iain Strachan (iain@istrachan.clara.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 16:29:43 EST

    Glenn wrote:

    > This is one of the things that has come more into focus during my ex-pat
    > assignment here in Scotland. There is a very tiny group of people who go
    > church here each Sunday. Something like 2% (maybe M. B. Roberts can give
    > more firm figures). But one thing I have noticed is that life here in an
    > a-religious UK is not that much different than life in the religious US.
    The
    > crime is lower, here in the Aberdeen area. Do we have theives? Of course,
    > but not as many as in Houston, or at least they are less active. Like the
    > US, the UK has its share of mass murderers (a guy was convicted of killing
    > lots of women just the other day) and they have some wierd doctor here at
    > Alder Hey hospital who had an interesting hobby of keeping children's
    > organs after they died. He kept thousands of them. But the US has lots of
    > mass murderers, and wierdos like that doctor. People like Richard Specht,
    > John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer etc. But all in all, life is pretty much
    > the same here. It causes me to question the relatively common consensus
    > that life would be different without God. To outward appearances, there
    > isn't much God here. You live in Japan, a place where there are very few
    > christians. Do people run around acting like they have no accountability
    > there?
    >
    > The sad thing I have come to realize over the past 6 months here is how
    > little difference Christianity makes to the fabric of the US culture when
    > compare with an a-religious culture like this.

    As a representative of this tiny a-religious nation, I'd like to respond
    here. I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare Britain and US and
    then draw conclusions as to whether Christianity makes a difference. US and
    Britain are very different countries and cultures; and there could be any
    number of reasons why there are more more murders in US (e.g. the ease with
    which you can possess a gun might have something to do with it).

    However, having lived here all my life, I do observe several trends over the
    last 40 years or so:

    (1) General degradation of morality, behaviour.

    (2) Loss of natural politeness and decency that was supposed to be a
    characteristic of the British. It is now my impression that we have become
    a nation of self-interested, rude people. The "lager lout" culture. This is
    not even a "class" thing either. The England football fans that caused all
    the trouble in Belgium were company managers, solicitors, and accountants -
    supposedly intelligent, respectable people.

    (3) Lack of respect for authority, and insistence on the rights of the
    individual. 15 years ago, my town (pop 30,000) was a safe place to go at
    night; the police had powers to arrest trouble makers. Now you take your
    life in your hands going out on a Saturday night. An ex-policeman told me
    that they no longer have the power to arrest troublemakers. If they touch
    them they stand the risk of being prosecuted for assault. Everything is
    biased
    towards the criminal's "rights". Schoolteachers
    are no longer respected now. A colleague of mine's wife is governor of the
    local school.
    If the kids are playing up, one can't count on any co-operation from the
    parents these
    days. It is a frequent occurrence for parents to come round and scream
    abuse at the
    teachers; threaten violence and so forth. And this isn't exactly a rough
    area we're living
    in!

    (4) General decline in religious observance; church attendence, perception
    of the relevance of religion.

    Now, whether the last one is connected to the first three, I can't say for
    sure, though on the face of it, the wholesale rejection of Christianity has
    made a big difference. Our country may not yet be as violent as the US,
    but I think we are on the way.

    On a more hopeful note, someone in our church recently reported something
    from a town near Nottingham. The churches in the area became aware of the
    escalating amount of car-thefts that were happening, and decided to have a
    concerted effort to pray about the problem. They organised a collaborative
    effort over all the churches in the area, to meet and pray about this
    specific
    problem. Very soon afterwards there was a dramatic drop in the amount
    of car theft; much to the surprise of the local police.

    As in the other example, I can't prove causality; but I think it's
    indicative
    that Christianity _does_ make a difference, but we Christians have to start
    believing that it can, and do something about it. I feel that if, on the
    other
    hand we just bemoan the fact that it isn't making a difference, then sure
    enough it won't.

    Iain.