Re: Where is man?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2001 - 15:20:19 EST

    Glenn,

    >>Why am I not surprised to see your reply?
    >
    > And what is this comment about? Should a person sit idly by while others
    > critize his ideas? I won't. Maybe you will, but then I see that you didn't
    > sit still for the same treatment because you replied when I criticized your
    > position. Should I make the same comment about you?

    Relax, Glenn. That was merely a light-hearted rhetorical question. Have we
    come to the sad point where the ;) sign must be included at every such
    occasion?

    > Or maybe I should note that at the Nature of Nature conference you actually
    > encouraged me to continue looking along the lines I am. Maybe your comment
    > surprised me in light of your statement to me face to face! If my approach
    > has no merit as you suggest, then you were entirely wrong to say anything
    > nice about the approach.

    As I recall, my encouragement to you then was the same as that given at the
    end of my last post:

    >>5. Becoming better informed about the formational history of modern humans
    >>is a worthy enterprise. You are well justified, Glenn, to ask the Christian
    >>community to become more aware of what is known about this.

    At one point you concluded:

    > The problem is in the nature of inspiration.

    Right on, Glenn. That is precisely the issue. You and I operate with
    substantially different concepts of divine inspiration and, consequently,
    what constitute appropriate expectations and uses of the biblical text.

    Howard