Methodological Atheism

From: John Burgeson (burgy@compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 17:01:50 EST

    Has anyone the email addresses of Phillip Johnson?

    In the recent Newsletter of the ASA & CSCA
    History/Philosophy of Science Commission, Autumn 2000,
    a short Johnson-Ted Davis dialog appeared. I found it
    fascinating.

    I wish to comment only on the term "Methodological Atheism,"
    which both Johnson and Davis appear to think is of recent
    appearance. I first ran across the term in a slim (popular)
     volume by Otto Strunk, published in 1968. My notes include
    the following (inexact) quotation from that book:

    "Several hundred years B.C. the Epicureans taught that science
    must accept two fundamental principles. First -- it shall take
    account of all the evidences available. Second -- it should not
    explain perplexing phenomena by referring to the possible
    intervention of the gods...this Greek philosophy of science was
    the beginning of ...methodological atheism...scientific
    systems do not permit room for God as an explanatory factor.

    (Exact wording of quotation may not be exact)

    Otto Strunk, The Choice Called Atheism, Abington Press, 1968.

    Burgy