Re: Ethics of human space travel

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 19:33:07 EST

    Jonathan orginally wrote (and I have been thinking about it)

    << Are we to
     restrict ourselves to minimum input scientific exploration, or does
     creation dominion extend to for extensive exploration that might include
     using the resources of other planets for propellants and other
     consumables for scientific exploration and even establishment of bases? >>

    There is something very interesting about the dominion mandate in Gen
    1:26-28. It is addressed to all human beings and is paired with the
    reproduction mandate. Although it is seemingly restricted to this earth, the
    exploration of other planets was not part of the Weltbild; so, cannot, it
    seems to me, be excluded. But, my point about its being paired with the
    reproduction mandate is that reproduction is built into human beings in such
    a way that it was bound to be fulfilled. It could not be stopped. I think the
    dominion mandate is the same. Curiosity is built into humans. It also cannot
    be stopped. This leaves ethical questions of how space exploration should be
    conducted (which I do not know enought about to answer); but, it seems to me
    that God intended for the dominion mandate to be fulfilled until the end of
    the age; and that would include space exploration and dominion for as far out
    into space as curiosity takes us.

    Paul