Re: Ethics of human space travel

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 15:09:16 EST

    Hi Paul

    Thanks for these most interesting comments. Extrapolating these passages to the
    modern world picture is quite a challenge. It is curious how in the present day
    commentators focus on the dominion aspect, rather than the reproductive aspect,
    although traditionally it was this aspect which exercised the thoughts of the
    exegetes, as noted in Cohen's book on Genesis. Presumably therefore the ethical
    limits on filling the earth/cosmos are those compatible with care of creation so
    that it's ability to reflect God's glory is not marred, the rights of other
    created beings not impinged, and that humanity works to God's glory ant not out
    of selfish greed.

    How does the Septuagint translate the earth that is to be filled in Genesis
    1:28? Does it use Kosmos or geos?

    respectfully

    Jonathan