Ethics of human space travel

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 05:22:30 EST

    Greetings all

    Things have been incredibly quiet here recently, so I thought I would
    try and liven them up.

    The idea of space travel is not new, with fanciful accounts going back
    at least classical times. Serious thoughts on the practical issues
    began with the first studies of Tsiolkovsky in the 1880's. At the end
    of the 20th century humanity has visited most of the major and many of
    the minor bodies the solar systems with robot probes, sent crewed
    missions to the moon, and inhabited orbiting stations for years on end.
    At present the ISS is under construction and crewed missions to Mars
    seem a definite possibility. Despite these remarkable achievements, a
    discussion of the theological issues involved, has been scant. What
    little there has been has concentrated on the theological implications
    of intelligent extraterrestrial life and, to a lesser extent,
    extraterrestrial life in general. There has been little on the issues of
    space exploration in general, or of those raised by longer term space
    settlement or terra forming. This is true of both Christians an
    non-Christians. Even the more vocal members of the environmental lobby
    do not seem to have addressed the environmental issues of space
    exploration except where it impacts on terrestrial concerns, such as
    particulate emissions from solid fuel rockets, or use of nuclear powered
    spacecraft.

    Perhaps this silence reflects the fact that there are there are no
    issues involved, but I doubt it. It would be better to start thinking
    through these issues than wait till they launch themselves fully
    fledged. I am being to research a paper on the theological issues
    involved with space exploration, with Mars as the case in point.
    Hopefully, this will lead to some form of paper in the fulness of time.
    As part of this I would appreciate feedback from people on this list.

    We can consider missions in various ways. One is the impact of the
    mission. In terms of increasing impact these are simple robotic
    missions, advanced robotic and crewed missions, and settlements. The
    possible goals of such missions include scientific exploration, resource
    utilization in support of scientific missions, economic exploitation
    (particularly propellants), and human colonization.

    Several Biblical passages may be relevant to space exploration. The
    first is the oft quoted Ps 111:2 "How wonderful are the things the Lord
    does! All who are delighted with them want to understand them." (GNB).
    Scientific exploration of other planets is, I would argue, a legitimate
    extension of this, at least in principle. The Biblical mandate to
    utilize the earth is also clear. Genesis 1:28 speaks of dominion over
    the animals, Psalm 8:6 of dominion over all things God has made, 7-8
    over all creatures. Dueteronomy 8:7-9 extends the concept of creation
    as gift to include the non-living resources of the promised land, as
    well as the living. However the picture of dominion must always be in
    the context of the broader Biblical themes. These include: humanity is
    to work within the framework of God's law, to be the image of God (and
    thus act in ways appropriate to the divine character), recognise that to
    whom much is given much is expected, and that Biblical lordship is
    exercised through servanthood.

    How do we extend these principles to planetary exploration? Are we to
    restrict ourselves to minimum input scientific exploration, or does
    creation dominion extend to for extensive exploration that might include
    using the resources of other planets for propellants and other
    consumables for scientific exploration and even establishment of bases?
    Does the concept of dominion extend to economic ulitizatuion of the moon
    and planets? What about terraforming, adapting sterile planets for
    human habitation? Or does the creation mandate apply only to planet
    earth?

    respectfully

    Jon