Re: Musings on a Post-GSA Encounter

From: M.B.Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 11:58:11 EST

    Lovely place Sonora with an excellent motel. On holiday there our Alamo 4X4
    broke down and had to be exchanged, as a result we got through 4 vehicles in
    14 days.
    Otherwise an excellent vist to the West USA from Britain.
    But what a change from British geology -everything on a vast scale.

    We popped down the Grand canyon -round trip in 91/2 hours , who says we
    British cant cope with heat. It is a tremendous experience and no better
    place to feel geological time. (Didnt meet the ICR team!)
    On the way down found a Diamond back rattle fast asleep on a bedding plane.
    One should always take a geol photo with something for scale. It's being
    used in a book next Spring called The discovery of time and I have written a
    chapter on theological and geological aspects of time.
    I argue very few from 1650 to 1850 even contemplated Ussher's 4004 BC. Some
    will call it revisionist but it is ironic that many geologists from 1800 to
    1850 were evangelicals.

    To return to our holiday , went ot Yosemite and then climbed Mt Dana a great
    little walk, but no time to knock off Lyell and Darwin.

    To comment on Steve's musings. i go for the puritanical tradition as one
    leading Puritan bought his bride a frilly garter for their wedding!! I am
    sure a lacivious research project wopuld be to see exactly how Christians in
    the Reformed and Evangelical trads actually considered sex. In 1820s
    Evangelicals opposed Malthus becvause restraint was not right in marriage.
    That ought to be on the Californian radio

    Michael roberts

    Wales