1800s

From: M B Roberts (topper@robertschirk.u-net.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 15:57:01 EST

    Be warned in the early 1800s there were many coal-pitts for people to fall
    in. It's my favourite period (see my PSCF article ofr Dec 99)

    I t's also highly complex as some geologists still did not accept the vast
    age of the earth George Young etc and so some young earthers then changed
    their minds in a decade or so. It is far more understandable for people at
    that time to be young earth than today.

    I have lots ready to be pushed out into publication. Paper due Next year
    and others in the wings.

    As I read you on Penn I thought of de saussure as I have visited his sites
    in the Alps and sure enough his name came up.

    Remember things were more fluid then (pun!), but by 1850 scarcely anyone
    and espec Anglican and Scots clergy believed in a young earth.

    I could reply at length but have exams to mark.

    Another point beware of the rubbish on this period published by AD White
    and also any rubbish history which says Lyell introduced ideas of the age
    of the earth in 1830 (and of course Pennock).

    I will put my oar in again.

    Keep freezing in the granite city.

    Michael
    Michael Roberts,