RE: 1800s

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 11:34:54 EST

    Michael Tuomey, in The Geology of South Carolina (1848) implies that no well-informed geologist or theologian holds to a young earth, though acknowledging that "there are, I believe, those who suppose" instantaneous creation with appearance of history. He rejects this as contrary to both natural laws and natural theology. I.e., if the apparently well-designed trilobite eye is not designed for seeing but rather a curious structure created in a rock, Paley's design arguments fail. Tuomey describes the suitability of the trilobite's eye for seeing as adaptation, in contrast to the modern use of the word to imply evolution. (He clearly advocates special creation.) Gap and day-age scenarios are cited as possible ways of reconciling the Biblical and geological evidence.
    Of course, for Tuomey to include this section in his publication suggests concern about the views of the legislature (who did not fund his work very well), but he asserts that the time of perceived conflict between geology and Scripture is past, just as for astronomy.

        Dr. David Campbell
        "Old Seashells"
        Biology Department
        Saint Mary's College of Maryland
        18952 E. Fisher Road
        St. Mary's City, MD 20686-3001 USA
        dcampbell@osprey.smcm.edu, 301 862-0372 Fax: 301 862-0996
    "Mollusks murmured 'Morning!'. And salmon chanted 'Evening!'."-Frank Muir, Oh My Word!