Re: Numerology

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 00:49:50 EDT

    Let me add some detail to George's response. The Septuagint has the books
    of the Old Testament in the order familiar to us, but then adds the
    apocrypha. However, our Psalm 118 is LXX 117. This is because our 9 and
    10 are combined, but out 147 is split. Also, another Psalm is added.
    Having tried to find some passages, I also know that the chapter and
    verse order can be different. This should mess up any verse count.

    As for the Hebrew scriptures, They begin with the Books of Moses and the
    historical books through II Kings. The major prophets, Daniel excepted,
    and the minor prophets follow. The rest, in order, are Psalms, Proverbs,
    Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel,
    Ezra, Nehemiah, and, finally, I and II Chronicles. Burgy's friend may
    figure out what comes in the middle in these arrangements, which are
    likely older than the arrangement we know.

    As for the numeration, 1118 becomes, in the usual ancient Greek
    numeration, low stroke alpha, rho iota eta high stroke. The strokes
    indicate numerals. Drop low stroke alpha to get 118.

    Dave