Polkinghorne again

From: Cmekve@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 21:53:26 EDT

    John Polkinghorne has yet another new book out, "Faith, Science, and
    Understanding" (Yale Univ. Press, 2000). It's based on several lectures and
    is slightly repetitive, but he writes so well, who can object. He covers
    familiar terrain (e.g., opposition to a block universe, support of critical
    realism), but also takes some aspects further than before (at least to the
    best of my recollection of his previous books).

    For instance, he strongly emphasizes the kenotic nature of God's action in
    creation. This is not new but the emphasis is, I think. Also he continues
    to talk of "natural theology" but it is now so qualified as to sound more
    like the "dependent natural theology" (rather than 'classic' "independent"
    natural theology) of Torrance (and also as cited by George Murphy). Or to
    use terms from D.N. Livingstone's writings, it's more an argument TO design
    (i.e., a confessional claim) rather than FROM design (Paley-like
    philosophical argument).

    All in all it's another good read from Polkinghorne.

    Karl
    Karl V. Evans
    cmekve@aol.com