Re: Polkinghorne again

From: Bjoern Moeller (dj_mic20@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 23:36:30 EDT

    --- Cmekve@aol.com wrote:
    > John Polkinghorne has yet another new book out,
    > "Faith, Science, and
    > Understanding" (Yale Univ. Press, 2000). It's based
    > on several lectures and
    > is slightly repetitive, but he writes so well, who
    > can object. He covers
    > familiar terrain (e.g., opposition to a block
    > universe, support of critical
    > realism), but also takes some aspects further than
    > before (at least to the
    > best of my recollection of his previous books).
    >
    > For instance, he strongly emphasizes the kenotic
    > nature of God's action in
    > creation. This is not new but the emphasis is, I
    > think. Also he continues
    > to talk of "natural theology" but it is now so
    > qualified as to sound more
    > like the "dependent natural theology" (rather than
    > 'classic' "independent"
    > natural theology) of Torrance (and also as cited by
    > George Murphy). Or to
    > use terms from D.N. Livingstone's writings, it's
    > more an argument TO design
    > (i.e., a confessional claim) rather than FROM design
    > (Paley-like
    > philosophical argument).
    >
    > All in all it's another good read from Polkinghorne.
    >
    > Karl
    > ********************************
    > Karl V. Evans
    > cmekve@aol.com

    For those of you living near to, or just happening to
    be near to Chicago, I can happily inform you that
    Polkinghorne is giving a talk in the city on Nov. 2.

    It is called "Understanding the Universe," so he might
    draw on the book mentioned by Karl.

    Location and time is Loyola University, Chicago, Lake
    Shore Campus, 6525 N Sheridan Road, Crown Center
    Auditorium, Nov. 2., 7.30 PM, and it's free.

    Bjorn Moller
    grad student in philosophy
    Loyola University, Chicago.