Re: The martyrdom begins

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 10:56:51 EDT

    glenn morton wrote:

    > A friend sent me the following letter which was addressed to the American
    > Spectator who apparently has started an article talking about the lynching
    > of Bill Dembski. Bruce Gordon, who took over as director and who is a
    > friend of Bill's wrote a defence of the Baylor decision. While I didn't meet
    > Gordon, my understanding is that he is an IDer. This letter shows several
    > things--1. reporters make up their mind before they gather the facts
    > (probably for sales),2. Dembski is not a martyr but a self-inflicted victim
    > 3. the committee was a fair minded one and 4. the faculty senate vote last
    > Spring was not about Bill Dembski but about the manner in which the Polanyi
    > Center was founded--something I raised with Paul Nelson last Spring. Here is
    > the letter.

    Whether Glenn meant it this way or not, Glenn writes as though Bruce wrote this
    letter after becoming director of the MPC, and in favor of the Baylor decision
    to demote Bill. But in fact Bruce wrote the letter two days before the Baylor
    decision to demote Bill, so Bruce's letter cannot be defending *that* action.
    (In fact, from what he says in the letter, Bruce wrote the letter even before
    the conclusions of the External Review Committee were released.) In the entire
    letter Bruce never mentions some "Baylor decision" that he defends, so it is
    unclear what Glenn is referring to in that regard. The American Spectator piece
    that Bruce was reacting to was not a response to Bill's demotion, but was rather
    about the entire MPC controversy. That article was begun a number of weeks ago,
    before the events of last week transpired. So, none of Bruce's letter is about
    anything that happened last week. Construing Bruce's letter (and the American
    Spectator article) as a reaction to the events of last week is therefore
    inaccurate and misleading.

    - Bryan