Re: MAA (more about abbreviations)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 07:35:58 EDT

    Douglas Hayworth wrote:

    > Already Wayne has used defined PC as "process
    > creation" while David defined it as "progressive creation". These two
    > could be the same thing, or maybe not. How hard is it to type two extra
    > words in your message to define an abbreviation the first time it is used
    > therein?

            "Process creation" & "progressive creation" would be very different
    things, at least if "process" refers to "process theology".
            There has to be some moderation in abbreviations but they can't be
    avoided entirely. TE is indeed "theistic evolution" on this list, but what is
    "theistic evolution"? It's really an abbreviation to package a wide variety
    of views on evolution & theology & is often applied to many people who aren't
    (for different reasons) happy with the term itself. Abbreviations can be
    spelled out but they can also be learned in the same way we learn language in
    general, by seeing how they are used.

    Shalom,

    George