Re: Omphalos

From: David F Siemens (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 17:12:38 EDT

    On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 08:41:45 -0400 Moorad Alexanian
    <alexanian@uncwil.edu> writes:
    > Scientific data is collected by mechanical, electrical, etc. devices
    > and so
    > cannot be classified as illusions. If that were the case, then we
    > are all
    > interns in a mental asylum. Only man can have illusions. Of course,
    > there
    > are some who consider certain observations as the subject matter of
    > science
    > that are not. Moorad

    Moorad,
    You are making the naive assumption that you cannot hallucinate devices.
    This is the practical assumption which all individuals attempting to
    communicate share. But we need to back up. Historically, one of the
    dominant schools of philosophy was skepticism. St. Augustine countered
    their rejection of all possibility of knowledge by noting that, whatever
    they doubted, not one of them could doubt that he, the doubter, existed.
    Descartes, a millennium later, phrased it positively in his Cogito, ergo
    sum (I think, therefore I exist). I have, with every act of awareness,
    the direct evidence of my existence. But I cannot provide that evidence
    to anyone else, nor can they, assuming they exist and have the same
    internal evidence, provide their evidence to me. Because of this, I
    cannot prove that anyone else exists, for they may be something that I
    generate subjectively. Additionally, I cannot prove that there is a world
    outside, for I may be imagining it all. Someone may think that hitting me
    on the nose will prove their existence. But it may only show that I can
    imagine some very unpleasant events. Some wiseacre students then tell a
    fellow, "You don't exist. You're just a figment of my imagination." This
    is a flat lie, for no one is crazy enough to argue with what he knows is
    imaginary. Consequently, if there are any solipsists, they are found only
    among the totally unresponsive mentally ill.

    The Omphalos approach plays with another matter that cannot be disproved
    but is not believed, that the world was created five seconds ago with the
    appearance of age, all the memories, etc., that make it seem
    older--whether 6000 years or 15x10^9 years ago makes no difference.

    There are also other items that we cannot prove by observational
    evidence. These include the other assumptions that are foundational for
    science. Philosophers look at them, and other matters, and ask such
    questions as whether they and their consequences are logically
    consistent, whether they produce a simpler explanation than alternatives,
    and the like. But these do not provide strict proof, any more than one
    can prove the axioms of Euclidean geometry. The best we can do with the
    last is a proof that it is consistent if, and only if, the Riemannian and
    Lobachevskian geometries are consistent. Euclidean geometry is the best
    to use for terrestrial measurements, but relativity requires a Riemannian
    metric, at least in its current form. Since Whitehead was successful in
    translating Einstein's work into Euclidian geometry in terms of what was
    then recognized as relevant, I suspect that a more comprehensive
    translation is possible, even though no one seems to want to tackle the
    job.

    Just as specific theorems can be proved when one accepts Euclid's axioms,
    so specific consequences can be shown when certain assumptions provide
    observations that fit into a specific scientific theories. But the very
    observations depend on scientific theories, so there is no independent
    proof. The fact is that human beings are finite, extremely limited, even
    though we do not often think about these restrictions. The dim mirror
    that Paul notes applies to more than the spiritual.

    There is another point that Augustine held to be vital: credo ut
    intelligam or "I believe in order to understand." Faith in our unproved
    assumptions is the basis for all that we claim to know--with the one
    exception. Faith is the basis of science as much as it is our eternal
    hope. Those who come to the world to do science must believe that it
    exists just as surely as those who come to God must believe that he
    exists.

    Dave