interesting article

From: Marcio Pie (pie@bu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 14:24:59 EDT

    Hi there!

    An interesting article came out recently in Nature on how a prion may
    improve the "evolvability" of yeast. This may have some relevance
    regarding some ID hypotheses. I'd love to hear your comments on this.

    Best

    Marcio

    http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v407/n6803/abs/407477a0_fs.html

    Nature 407, 477 - 483 (2000)

    A yeast prion provides a mechanism for genetic variation and phenotypic
    diversity

    HEATHER L. TRUE AND SUSAN L. LINDQUIST

    A major enigma in evolutionary biology is that new forms or functions
    often require the concerted effects of several independent genetic
    changes. It is unclear how such changes might accumulate when they are
    likely to be deleterious individually and be lost by selective pressure.
    The Saccharomyces cerevisiae prion [PSI+] is an epigenetic modifier of the
    fidelity of translation termination, but its impact on yeast biology has
    been unclear. Here we show that [PSI+] provides the means to uncover
    hidden genetic variation and produce new heritable phenotypes. Moreover,
    in each of the seven genetic backgrounds tested, the constellation of
    phenotypes produced was unique. We propose that the epigenetic and
    metastable nature of [PSI+] inheritance allows yeast cells to exploit
    pre-existing genetic variation to thrive in fluctuating environments.
    Further, the capacity of [PSI+] to convert previously neutral genetic
    variation to a non-neutral state may facilitate the evolution of new
    traits.