Re: Omphalos

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 08:57:59 EDT

    Dear David,

    Your philosophical arguments, whether things or people outside of yourself
    exist, were once made by a philosophy professor in a classroom, however, the
    students observed that whenever the bell ending the class would ring the
    professor had no problem finding the door to exit the classroom. The human
    "device" can experience hallucinations but such is not the case with
    mechanical, electrical, etc. devices. The latter constitute the data for
    science. Philosophers raise all sorts of interesting questions but they
    supply no answers. Birds know nothing of aerodynamics but still fly. We are
    the same. That is the mystery of life. You live without being able to prove
    that you are alive. No matter how clever you think philosophers are there
    are all sorts of implicit assumptions they make in their musings without
    their knowledge. In fact, David Hilbert, the father of axiomatics, showed
    that Euclidean geometry needed 21 axioms rather than the five that we
    normally teach in order to derive rigorously all the theorems of Euclidean
    geometry. Therefore, I agree with you that we have to make assumptions
    otherwise we would get nowhere. Absolute knowledge is not attainable by man,
    but man can still understand and explain. Philosophers should not take
    themselves to seriously.

    Take care,

    Moorad