RE: CNN on Oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 14:29:50 EDT

    Another thought on this topic struck me the other day. It may well be
    obvious to most of the respondents and lurkers, but maybe the reason why so
    little attention is being given to our dwindling natural resources is that
    energy is looked upon as an open-ended system. I mean this in two ways:

    The general consensus appears to be that there are enough sources of energy
    "out there" that there is no need to worry. Just as we expect to have light
    when we switch a light switch (because there's an apparent overabundance of
    electrons just outside our home just waiting to be given the opportunity to
    course through the tungsten filament), we expect that there will always be
    yet another oil field waiting to be discovered and tapped.

    The other opinion appears to be that, if we don't use these resources,
    somebody else will. We, therefore, had better get our "share" before
    somebody else beats us to it. Thus, the temptation is there to think that
    even, as individuals, or as nations, make do with less, the rest of society
    will not follow our example.

    To combat the first opinion, the "eternally optimistic opinion," education
    is required. To combat the second takes more than "just education" because
    it is an ethical issue.

    Christians who are scientists have a role to play in addressing both
    opinions.

    Chuck Vandergraaf