Re: The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind & you

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 08:51:43 EDT

    Stephen:

    I do not have access to Mark Noll's "The Scandal of the Evangelical
    Mind", but gather from the tenor of your posting that it represents a
    withering attack on the YEC position. Whether that attack has any real
    substance, I very much doubt. You sum up the 'scandal' - 'syndrome',
    even - with the question "How is it that an individual believer is
    rendered credulous and intellectually impoverished, lacking
    self-critical instincts and unaware of compromises in his/her own
    intellectual integrity?"

    I suggest these negative attributes are not the exclusive province of
    YECism, but rather extend across the board. How is it that scientists
    can arbitrarily exclude the supernatural from their deliberations (or
    water it down, as the case may be!) and yet pretend they are the sole
    purveyors and guardians of Truth? How is it that the proofs I provide of
    scriptural integrity* generally give rise to a severe attack of
    cognitive dissonance**? May I suggest that while this self-imposed
    barrier to the acceptance of the solid evidences of direct divine action
    in upholding the literal truth of the Genesis record is allowed to
    remain, no one is in a position to cast any stones at the intellectual
    integrity of another.

    It is clear to me that until the full complement of biblical data that
    is available to us has been properly examined, assessed and assimilated,
    we shall all remain 'intellectually impoverished' - our words in this
    debate, 'as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal'!

    Sincerely,

    Vernon

    Vernon Jenkins MSc
    [musician, mining engineer, and formerly Senior Lecturer in Maths and
    Computing, the Polytechnic of Wales (now the University of Glamorgan)]

    http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm
    http://www.compulink.co.uk/~indexer/miracla1.htm

    *For example, http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/page_10.htm

    ** In its acute form, a tangible legacy of the Fall; man's first line of
    defence in his brushes with Truth. An excellent introduction to the
    phenomemon is provided at http://www.jencom.com/2001