The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind & you

From: Stephen Matheson (matheson@helix.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 19:25:59 EDT

    Several months ago, I read Mark Noll's "The Scandal of the Evangelical
    Mind", and it had a profound impact on my thinking and attitudes. As a
    result, I often think about the scandal, noting how it is revealed in so
    many aspects of evangelical behavior and, of course, in all its glory in
    "creation science". After reading Mr. Roy's posts (with a mixture of
    fascination and despondency) detailing the latest remarkable absurdities
    emanating from YECism, I have been reflecting on the meaning of the
    scandal in the context of individual minds.

    If you haven't read the book (and you really should), the basic premise is
    that "there isn't much of an evangelical mind", as a result of a sad
    deterioration of intellectual engagement over two centuries of evangelical
    history. It is only a slight oversimplification to say that Noll
    attributes the whole disaster to the loss of self-criticism in the
    analysis and incorporation of ideas. In any case, Noll painstakingly
    details the evolution (heh) of the scandal in its historical context, and
    his analysis is compelling in that frame of reference. In other words, I
    think it's clear how evangelicalism as a whole has arrived at its current
    state.

    But what isn't clear to me is this: how does the scandal operate in an
    individual? How is it that an individual believer is rendered credulous
    and intellectually impoverished, lacking self-critical instincts and
    unaware of compromises in his/her own intellectual integrity? (I hope
    it's clear how YECism in general, and the recent proposals on this list in
    particular, have sparked my interest in this question.) To be frank, I
    see myself as still emerging from a comparatively mild case of the
    syndrome, and I'm genuinely curious how this happens so systematically.
    (No, I'm not discounting personal responsibility.)
    It seems to significantly predate the obvious decline of American
    educational quality, so that's not a good theory. My current working
    hypothesis is that the loss of self-critical restraint made possible the
    assimilation of some self-sustaining axioms into the dominating worldviews
    (read theologies), and that these axioms are self-sustaining at least in
    part because they inactivate self-criticism, perhaps by replacing it with
    something else. The whole thing works as a feedback loop that is
    self-sustaining and extremely well insulated. (I'm interested in cellular
    and developmental biology and in signal transduction in particular. Can
    you tell?) The key is that it has to work *on individual minds* just as
    well as it works on a cultural level, because IMO the cultural insulation
    is simply not strong enough to keep out competing ideas.

    In other words, I'm proposing that the syndrome is not merely a cultural
    phenomenon, i.e. a bunch of bad habits reinforced by imitation or peer
    pressure. Rather, it operates on the level of individual minds, acting to
    squelch self-critical intellectual restraint, perhaps taking the form of a
    specific set of axioms that affect self-criticism in a feedback loop. An
    interesting metaphor is HIV infection, with the invading agent taking out
    the defense mechanism.

    Does anyone else wonder about this? Am I making any sense?

    Steve Matheson
    matheson@helix.mgh.harvard.edu