RE: End of Cheap oil

From: Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 16:16:07 EDT

    Glenn,

    First of all, leave it to you to get another ball rolling! I think your
    e-mail on "cheap oil" is right on target. Thanks for the links to the
    various web sites; I had seen "Hubbert-type" graphs before but it's nice to
    have the references.

    Let me make a few comments, some from a nuclear energy perspective.

    One can argue about exactly when oil production will peak. It's just a
    matter of time. The production of all non-renewable resources peak. Since
    we know that oil production will peak, we should get ready for the day that
    it is priced out of (most of) the market. If, as you say, the oil
    production will peak at 30 billion barrels of oil (bbo), extending the peak
    by one year will, obviously, require that you and your fellow oil people,
    find an extra 30 bbo.

    The question then is, how are we (not just the US or "the West") going to
    manage. We have to keep in mind that, even though the "developed world"
    often acts as if it was , somehow, entitled to all these fossil fuels, there
    are some 5 billion people that have just as much right to run cars, plow
    their fields with something other than animal or human power and just as
    much right to sit in air-conditioned comfort as we are. You quote Price:

    "At current rates of consumption, known reserves of Petroleum will be gone
    in about thirty-five years; natural gas in fifty-two years; and coal in
    some two hundred years." David Price, Population and Environment: A Journal
    of Interdisciplinary Studies Volume 16, Number 4, March 1995, pp. 301-19
    1995 Human Sciences Press, Inc.

    I don't know if Price has figured in his projection 1+ billion Chinese and 1
    billion Indians consuming oil at the rate we, in North America, are. If he
    has not, his predictions are going to be wildly optimistic. On the other
    hand, if AIDS takes off world wide the way it has in Africa, there may be
    lots of time.

    If we are going to "ration" oil, we need to see where oil cannot (easily) be
    replaced. The beauty of oil is that it is a portable energy source. Diesel
    oil, kerosene and gasoline have allowed us to have cars and fly airplanes.
    There are other portable energy sources, of course, such as coal and wood
    and coal-fired boilers in steamships and steam locomotives are well known.
    And, yes, during WWII, some cars ran on gas produced by destructive
    combustion of wood.

    I would think then, that we need to reserve the oil for transportation and
    lubrication. Even for transportation, oil should be used only where other
    fuels cannot be used. Thus, railways should be electrified and truck
    transport reduced as much as possible. Public transit should be by electric
    trains, subways and trams. Buses should be trolley buses; they work very
    well in Vancouver, BC. (Trolley buses were ruled out in Winnipeg in the
    1970s because the overhead wires created "visual pollution", despite the
    fact that Manitoba is an electrical energy exporting province)

    Using fossil fuels to generate electricity is, IMHO, going to be untenable.
    Nuclear power should be used to provide base load with pumped storage to
    provide energy for peak demands. In a pinch, natural gas turbines could be
    used with hydro where possible.

    I agree with you that "the auto will be a thing of the past." I don't think
    we will al have to telecommute or bicycle to work. I think that we will
    have to give up our quarter acre of grass around our house and start to live
    in row houses or apartments and increase the population density so that
    public transit can be effective. In Paris, most people within the
    "Perepherique" (belt way) are within 5 minutes walking of a subway entrance.
    The Metro is 50+% nuclear powered since more than 50% of France electrical
    energy is supplied by nuclear reactors.

    Oil resources will need to be conserved for farm use, although it may be
    possible to run farm equipment on corn-based alcohol or other biofuels. We
    may also start to have do without grapes in December because the shipping
    costs will be out of this world.

    As for alternative sources of energy, we are limited to hydro and nuclear;
    everything less is "small potatoes." There are untapped rivers that can
    supply us with more hydro power, but the environmental cost is not
    insignificant. The frustrating thing is that nuclear power has such a bad
    press. Note that Germany has just decided to phase out their nuclear power
    reactors at the end of their life, if not sooner. Nothing has been
    mentioned how Germany will generate the energy afterwards and nobody seems
    to want to ask the question.

    Fast breeder (fission) reactors produce more fuel than they consume and can
    extend our supply of fissionable materials. The Canadian CANDU heavy water
    reactor can be run with a mixed oxide fuel (Th/U) also run as a breeder
    reactor and produce U-233, which is fissile. Reprocessing of mixed Th/U
    fuel to remove the U-233 is a bit of a challenge because the fuel is
    insoluble in nitric acid, unlike UO2.

    Controlled thermonuclear fusion may be an alluring solution to the world's
    energy problems, but there are lots of problems to be solved. Contrary to
    public opinion, fusion reactors do produce large amounts of radioactive
    materials through neutron irradiation of reactor components. The pole
    pieces of the magnets undergo intense neutron bombardment to the point that,
    within a few months (if I remember correctly) most of the atoms in the pole
    pieces get knocked out of place in their lattice.

    I agree that wind, waves, tides, ocean thermal energy conversion, and
    geothermal sources are only bit players.

    I think that conservation is still in order. For years, I car pooled to
    work. With five members in our car pool, we were each able to cut our
    commuting costs by 80% and make do with one car per family. Now that our
    work force has shrunk and car pooling is not viable anymore, I've had to buy
    a second car. We can do with a lot less air conditioning in our homes,
    offices, and cars (note that most cars now come with air conditioning as
    standard). We can start shopping closer to home. Some states could do
    their bit by eliminating the electric chair ;-).

    We already see changes in energy use: cars use a lot less iron than in the
    past and some car manufacturers (BMW?) are starting to use recyclable
    plastic components. We can do a lot more recycling. We can do with less.

    I don't think that we need to look into the future with pessimism. The
    handwriting is on the wall, though, and you've highlighted some of the
    sentences. The changes will be painful and, as usual, affect the poor and
    disenfranchised most. As Christians, we have the opportunity to show God's
    grace in all of this and help to minimize the effects of these changes.

    Chuck Vandergraaf
    Pinawa, MB

    <snip>