Re: history of scientific method

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 08:37:04 EDT

    Wendee Holtcamp wrote:

    > George wrote
    >
    > > There is no "official" scientific method. In fact, there is no
    > single
    > >scientific method.
    >
    > Well I understand that there are indeed different ways of doing
    > science and that textbooks have overused the traditional scientific
    > method dogma, but there was indeed (or at least it has been reportted)
    > a history of the development of the specific method for keeping bias
    > out of science:

            Science didn't just suddenly come into being in the 16th century with the
    discovery or invention of a new method - there was some continuity with the work of
    medieval thinkers. (The notion that everything before Copernicus was the "dark ages"
    belongs to the antiquated Draper-White school of history of science-religion warfare.)
    The fundamental elements of science are
            a) observation of the world - including controlled experiment, &
            b) thinking about the world- with some emphasis on mathematics,
    but not in any special order. You can start with the observations (Heisenberg) or a
    theory (Schroedinger) to get to quantum mechanics.
            But actually there's a third element - knowing what others have learned before
    you. Otherwise budding scientist would have to start at square 1 & we'd never get past
    knowing that the sun rises in the east. _But_ attaching too much authority to the past
    is stultifying, & that was one of the things that people like Copernicus & Galileo had
    to get past. Aristotle & Galen weren't stupid & they weren't entirely wrong, but people
    had to learn that they weren't right just because they were Aristotle & Galen. That's a
    great oversimplification of the factors giving rise to _modern_ science, but one such
    factor was the willingness to subject well-established ideas to new examination.
                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com