Re: Flood

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 12:39:23 EDT

    At 10:40 AM 7/9/00 -0700, Diane Roy wrote:
    >>> As it typical of Glenn, he only considers one part of the circumstance
    -- the injection of energy into the biosphere. But, where are your
    calculations for the loss of energy in a catastrophic event? You don't want
    to try to figure that out because you may find that it is not nearly so bad
    as you think, and you can't gloat over your brilliance and 'their'
    stupidity.<<<

    Allen, you are not considering the implications of what you are suggesting.
    Like it or not, you are ignoring a vast literature out there about what
    happens in a meteor impact. It ain't pretty and frankly, Noah would be
    unlikely to survive such an impact, much less 10 of them. let me quote
    Alvarez and Asaro, in a readily available, popular publication, one you
    should have read before offering this silly, illogical and unworkable
    meteor impact theory of the flood.

            "Computer models of explosions with energies of 1,000 megatons--about 20
    times the energy of the largest nuclear bombs but only 1/100,000 the energy
    of the KT impact--have shown that the fireball never reaches pressure
    equilibrium with the surrounding atmosphere. Instead, as the fireball
    expands to altitudes where the density of the atmosphere declines
    significantly, its rise accelerates and the gas leaves the atmosphere at
    velocities fast enough to escape the earth's gravitational field. The
    fireball from an even greater asteroid impact would simply burst out the
    top of the atmosphere, carrying any entrained ejecta with it, sending the
    material into orbits that could carry it anywhere on the earth."
            "The impact of a comet-size body on the earth, creating a crater 150
    kilometers in diameter, would clearly kill everything within sight of the
    fireball. Researchers are refining their understanding of the means by
    which an impact would also trigger extinction worldwide. Mechanisms
    proposed include darkness, cold, fire, acid rain and greenhouse heat.
            "In our original paper, we proposed that impact-generated dust caused
    global darkness that resulted in extinctions. According to computer
    simulations made in 1980 by Richard P. Turco of R&D Associates, O. Brian
    Toon, of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and their
    colleagues, dust lofted into the atmosphere by the impact of a 10-kilometer
    object would block so much light that for months you would literally be
    unable to see your hand in front of your face.
            "Without sunlight, plant photosynthesis would stop. Food chains everywhere
    would collapse. The darkness would also produce extremely cold
    temperatures, a condition termed impact winter. (After considering the
    effects of the impact, Turco, Toon and their colleagues went on to study
    nuclear winter, a related phenomenon as capable of producing mass
    extinctions today as impact winter was 65 million years ago.)
            "In 1981 Cesare Emilliani of the University of Miami, Eric Krause of the
    University of Colorado and Eugene M. Shoemaker of the USGS pointed out that
    an oceanic impact would loft not only rock dust but also water vapor into
    the atmosphere. The vapor, trapping the earth's heat, would stay aloft much
    longer than the dust, and so the impact winter would be followed by
    greenhouse warming. More recently John D. O'Keefe and Thomas J. Ahrens of
    the California Institute of Technology have suggested that the impact might
    have occurred in a limestone area, releasing large volumes of carbon
    dioxide, another greenhouse gas. Many plants and animals that survived the
    extreme cold of impact winter could well have been killed by a subsequent
    period of extreme heat.
            "Meanwhile John S. Lewis, G. Hampton Watkins, Hyman Hartman and Ronald G.
    Prinn of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have calculated that
    shock heating of the atmosphere during impact would raise temperatures high
    enough for the oxygen and nitrogen to combine. The resulting nitrous oxide
    would eventually rain out of the air as nitric acid--an acid rain with a
    vengeance. This mechanism may well explain the widespread extinction of
    marine invertebrate plants and animals, whose calcium carbonate shells are
    soluble in acidic water.
            "Another killing mechanism came to light when Wendy Wolbach, Ian Gilmore
    and Edward Anders of the University of Chicago discovered large amounts of
    soot in the KT boundary clay. If the clay had been laid down in a few years
    or less, the amount of soot in the boundary would indicate a sudden burning
    of vegetation equivalent to half of the world's current forests. Jay Meos
    of the University of Arizona and his colleagues have calculated that
    infrared radiation from ejecta heated to incandescence while reentering the
    atmosphere could have ignited fires around the globe." Walter Alvarez and
    Frank Asaro, "An Extraterrestrial Impact," Scientific American, Oct. 1990,
    p. 80-82

    Now lets apply the Chixulub impact to the flood. Noah is on the ark when
    Chixulub hit (Chixulub struck Cretaceous limestone strata covered by a
    shallow sea.)The energy is 1 billion megatons or 4.2 x 10^24 joules. THis
    is more energy than I calculated for all the other craters COMBINED!!!!
    Yes, some of the energy does escape from earth, especially some of the
    gas. The rocks travel at a slightly lower speed and go suborbital
    reentering the atmosphere with such fury that they burn those floating
    vegetation mats everyone talks about down to the water line (by the way the
    ark is also at risk of burning due to the incandescence of the re-entering
    rocks. After the top deck of the ark burns, the darkness commences, but it
    isn't a cold dark, it is a hellish dark. The water and CO2 that Chixulub
    threw up into the atmosphere create blistering heat. Oxygen and nitrogen
    combine and the rain water now becomes acidic. Noah and company, not having
    a top to their ark, are exposed to the acid waters as they fall as rain.
    (This of course is really good for the skin--like acid of olay). Given that
    the vegetation has been burning, the oxygen level in the atmosphere is
    severely reduced (The oxygen masks drop from the ceiling above the seats on
    the ark).

    Give us a break Alan, and give us a realistic flood scenario rather than
    something as ridiculous as this.

    depending upon whose list you look at and what criteria are used to
    identify sites. However, everyone (in this field) agrees that this
    represent less than 1/3 of the number of impacts likely to have hit the
    earth. The earth is 2/3 ocean, and the subduction of ocean floor may well
    have destroyed evidence of impacts in the oceans. Also, most impact sites
    are found in arid or semi-arid regions. It is proposed that impacts in
    tropical, sub-tropical, and continental climes may erode impact evidence
    quite quickly. Thus there could be more impact sites that are not now
    observable because of vegetation and erosion. So the number of impacts has
    been proposed (not by Creationists) to be somewhere in the vicinity of 600.
     (this number does not take into account those impact sites buried by
    succeeding layers of the geologic record.

    And if you let too many impacts occur in the ocean, you will lift more than
    a foot of water vapor into the atmosphere and that will cook the earth. See
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/canopy.htm

    I just spent some time using some formula provided to me by Jon Leech in
    1994 concerning the megatons of energy required to produce a crater of a
    particular size. I added up all the megatons of all the 140 craters and
    found that during the flood year there would be 1.7 billion megatons of
    energy expended on the earth. An all out nuclear war would be tame compared
    to this.

    Once again, Alan, you have a poorly thought out scenario that is so
    transparently phoney that anyone with a modicum of knowledge can see the
    gaping holes and tattered remains of your theories.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm