Re: A Living Enigma

From: Vernon Jenkins (vernon.jenkins@virgin.net)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 17:29:49 EDT

    To the Forum:

    Concerning my recent posting (in which I commented on Richard Dawkins'
    enthusiasm for the music of J.S.Bach) I am advised by the composer
    A.M.Sauerwein (Duke University) that while Bach was an avid champion of
    'well-tempered' tuning - as evidenced by his two sets of 24 keyboard
    Preludes and Fugues covering the whole range of major and minor keys -
    'equal temperament', as it is now understood, was a later development.
    I am indebted to him for drawing my attention to this matter.

    For those interested in the details, an excellent introduction to
    historical tuning methods may be found at

    http://home.earthlink.net/~kgann/histune.html

    With all good wishes,

    Vernon

    Vernon Jenkins MSc
    [musician, mining engineer, and formerly Senior Lecturer in Maths and
    Computing, the Polytechnic of Wales (now the University of Glamorgan)]

    http://homepage.virgin.net/vernon.jenkins/index.htm

    http://www.compulink.co.uk/~indexer/miracla1.htm