Re: Flood

From: Diane Roy (Dianeroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 02:51:44 EDT

      From: dfsiemensjr@juno.com
      To: Dianeroy@peoplepc.com
      I am so ignorant that I can tell the difference between the rounded tops
      of ripples deposited by running water and the more angular tops seen in
      both Navajo and Coconino sandstones, something you apparently did not
      notice.

      Sand waves make a crossbedded deposition. Current strips off part of the previous deposition then the next sand wave makes a crossbedded deposition. The result is that in each crossbedded layer the top and bottom intersect in sharp angles.

      Second, little critters do not climb the leeward surface in
      fast-flowing water, for that would wash them into oblivion. They hunker
      down where there is some shelter.

      I see, you have observed this to happen? It is not unreasonable for the animals to try to climb upwards to get out of the problem. They would not know that they would be swept away by the current at the top.

      Third, where did they come from in the
      midst of waves each presumably transporting megatons of sediment.

      Along with the soil picked up by the waves, any animal (especially amphibian) would also be picked up. In a lower energy state, the animals would fall out while sand was being deposited and they would try to go up to get out of the water.

      Fourth,
      you want me to believe that one tsunami series was capable of dropping 80
      feet of Tapeats sandstone, 600 feet of Bright Angel shale, and five
      layers totaling 200 feet of Muav (not Mauve) limestone. But that depth of
      finely laminated shale would take thousands of flows. Additionally, the
      biggest meteor crater known, that at Chicxulub, produced deposits about
      30 feet thick. How big was the asteroid that deposited nearly 900 feet of
      sediment? On land, the most distant deposits from Chicxulub were 430
      miles from the crater. Where did this super-asteroid fall?

      I have found in reading up on modern tsunami deposition, scientists concentrate excusively on conglomerate and sand deposition, and ignore the mud layers which almost always lie above sometimes several times thicker than the layers below. Perhaps this is because of the mistaken notion that mud could not be deposited in other than still waters. (The experiment which I posted a few weeks ago here, showed that to be a false notion.) I am certain the same focus on just conglomerate or sand deposition from the Chicxulub is giving a false notion of the extent of destruction and deposition from the Chicxulub.

      2/3rds of the planet is ocean. If a large impact had taken place in a ocean basin at the beginning the incident, all traces of the impact site may have been subducted under the continent later on. Or, the impact site may be buried under sedimentary layers of later impacts.

      What was the
      geography like so that these vast amounts of sorted sediments could be
      washed up into their present locations?

      Currents and waves make horizontally sorted sedimentary depositions as are found in the Grand Canyon series.

      Also, where are the masses of
      tektites that must have been produced by the impacts?

      Tektites are not necessarily associated with impact sites.

      In continuation,
      what kicked up the two massive layers of the Chuar group and the 5 of the
      Unkar group, which underly the Tapeats sandstone?

      Creationary Catastrophists are divided as to if the Chuar and Unkar are Pre-Flood catastrophe or Flood catastrophe deposition.

      And the strata
      overlying the Tonto group, whose divisions you mention? None of the
      meterorite sites currently known could have moved such vast quantities of
      sediments in the course of a year.

      Perhaps, perhaps not. I doubt that all the deposits of the Chuxulub have been identified yet.

      All this leaves my original request for a plausible explanation of the
      Navajo sandstone unfulfilled. You responded, but with claims that are
      patently inappropriate. I have to conclude that your explanations are
      purely _ad hoc_, with inadequate concern for the way all the individual
      parts fit together and fit on site observations.

      No more ad hoc than your criticisms. The Navajo and Coconino were underwater deposits of sand waves driven by currents likely caused by impacts, tectonic activity, volcanic activity, tides, gravity, etc.

      Allen