Re: Involvement in evolution

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 12:25:14 EDT

    George Murphy's post included this comment:

    > But I do think that in the whole ID-MN &c debate not enough
    > attention has been given to the possibility that there are good
    > _theological_ arguments
    > for methodological naturalism & against at least the popular understanding
    > of ID. Van
    > Till's arguments about the functional integrity of creation are steps in the
    right
    > direction & ID proponents have been unwilling to take them with sufficient
    > seriousness.

    Not surprisingly, I agree. One way to describe ID's problem is that it seems
    to be a program shaped primarily by its function as a reaction to the
    rhetorical excesses of today's preachers of ontological naturalism. As such,
    it generally accepts the fundamental ground rule of naturalism: if atoms,
    molecules, cells, organisms and ecosystems have the formational capabilities
    to accomplish the remarkable organizational and transformational feats that
    evolutionary biology proposes, then a Creator-God is no longer needed. In
    essence, the ID response is to propose a "punctuated naturalism," that is, a
    formational history of the universe in which naturalistic processes (often
    characterized as unguided, purposeless, materialistic, etc.) are
    occasionally punctuated by episodes of intelligent design (form-imposing
    acts performed by some some unidentified extra-natural agent).

    My proposal is that Christians ought to lead with a card from their strong
    suit: the historic Christian doctrine of creation. Whatever the universe is
    and is capable of doing must be seen as a "gift of being" from the Creator.
    In the context of seeing the universe as a creation, every one of its
    resources, potentialities, and capabilities can then be experienced as a
    manifestation of the Creator's creativity and generosity. Instead of looking
    for evidence of gifts withheld (that is, looking for things that the
    creation is unable to do) Christians can celebrate every formational
    capability that the sciences uncover. The essence of God's creative action
    is not in occasional form-imposing interventions, but in the giving of being
    to a creation fully capable of accomplishing the Creator's intentions for
    its formational history. Where is there evidence of God's creative activity?
    Everywhere!

    Howard Van Till