RE: DPS Velocity

From: Berger, Lee (berger.lee@mail.dc.state.fl.us)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 13:36:59 EDT

    I consulted over the past three months with another Florida state agency to
    acquire some production equipment including an NLE. We reviewed many of
    the major players including AVID, however their budget was limited. I know
    nothing beats actually working on a system, but after a demonstration of
    Velocity I had to concede that on a performance Vs price basis the DPS was a
    good deal. They bought the top of the line, turnkey system with including
    150 GB of storage, 500 MHz dual Pentium PC, breakout box, and firewire I/O
    for around $16,000. The firewire worked as advertised, however DPS uses
    their own CODEC, hence there is transcoding to and from the DV format.

    I prefer the AVID interface, but for the price the Velocity interface was
    very workable. They seem very happy with it. They added the JVC GY-DV500
    camcorder and BR-DV-600 for a nifty, low cost system. They've been using it
    for about 30 days and last I heard were happy with it.

    Lee M. Berger
    Florida Department of Corrections