Re: Involvement in evolution

From: Bryan Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 17:43:34 EDT

    Sorry about the double post. Something was wrong with my
    e-mail last night, and I thought the first one had been
    lost.

    I appreciate George's answer (and I wish I could have heard
    his defense of MthN based on Christ's cross and resurrection.)

    He wants to draw the boundary for MthN at the point where
    it posits unobservable entities. I take it by 'unobservable'
    you mean 'unobservable in principle', not due to present
    technological limits. But even so, 'unobservable' is far too
    ambiguous. If we can observe its effects, is it unobservable?
    Is there anything we observe by observing something other
    than its effects? Therefore, by MthN, if we see effects
    that need to be explained, we infer the existence of a
    natural cause.
    Once there are no more effects that need to be explained,
    we stop postulating natural causes. At that point, there
    is no room in our universe for God, for we have now
    posited natural causes for all the effects we used to
    think were caused by Him (in our antiquated days).
    So it seems to me that "unobservable" is a cardboard
    barrier that MthN plows right over.

    Someone else suggested metaphysical barriers. Christianity
    says God created the world. Therefore, at this point MthN
    must stop. But, if this isn't a "theistic natural science"
    that Doug considers an oxymoron, then why can't atheists
    adopt it? The Christian cosmologist (unlike the Christian
    mechanic), will refuse to posit a natural cause for the
    formation of the universe. At this point, Christianity
    is a 'science-stopper'. So, on this view, there is nothing
    wrong in principle with Christianity being a science-
    stopper. (The debate simply concerns *where* the lines are
    to be drawn, i.e. where science is to be stopped.) If
    MthN should determine what is taught in public schools,
    then multiverse theory should be taught in our high
    schools, because it posits natural causes to explain
    observed effects.
    Moreover, scientific theories which employ or posit
    only natural causes to explain the origin of all
    religions and religious beliefs, they too should be
    taught in public schools. But in my view, MthN
    can't be the determiner of what should be taught
    in public school science classes, for where one
    draws the boundary for MthN depends upon one's
    metaphysics. (Occasionalists have no room at all
    for MthN; metaphysical naturalists have room for
    nothing but natural causes.)

    MthN is prevented from swallowing up metaphysics only
    if one either adopts a presuppositionalism that stipulates
    a metaphysics (such as Christianity) as an epistemological
    foundation or abandons MthN.

    The problem is that MthN is not just a search for
    natural causes; my proposed method does that. MthN is
    a belief, a commitment to the existence of undiscovered
    natural causes. As a methodology it carries with it
    the implicit assumption that natural causes lie behind
    whatever phenomenon to which it is turned. To prevent
    MthN from swallowing up metaphysics, one must
    refuse to aim one's MthN guns at events one believes
    (and doesn't want to stop believing) are the result
    of non-natural causes. For MthN has the power to
    provide natural explanations for (or eliminations of)
    every phenomenon.
    Naturalists aim MthN everywhere; TEs aim MthN everywhere
    except creation, providence, some events in redemptive
    history, and special revelation; ID-proponents reject
    MthN, in favor of a scientific method open to the
    possibility of non-natural causes. One might say that
    ID-proponents reject a division of disciplines
    effectively based on allowable causes, and pursue
    instead a division of disciplines based on the object
    of study (not on the allowable causes). Whereas the
    former method entails contradictions between the
    disciplines (because different causes are posited
    to account for the same entities/events) unless
    one stipulates [seemingly arbitrary] boundaries
    around the scientific discipline so as to avoid
    just those contradictions, the latter method does
    not entail contradictions between the disciplines.
    Personally, I find any methodology that entails
    perpetual contradictions between disciplines to
    be aesthetically unpleasing. I believe that our
    methodology should allow for, and bring us toward,
    unity across the disciplines.

    best,

    - Bryan

    >Bryan R. Cross wrote:

    >> > There is an obvious difference here. Everybody (except maybe solipsistic

    >> >trilobites) recognizes that trilobites are embedded in a universe which
    was "here" long
    >> >before they were & is much larger than they are. Thus it is not unreasonable
    to seek
    >> >the cause of features of the trilobite eye in processes of that universe.
     But it is not
    >> >generally admitted that the universe itself has such a "larger" environment.
     We can
> [...]

    >> science. You claim that multiverse theory is no more logically
    >> compelling than theism, but the degree to which MthN's conclusions are
    >> compelling is not relevant to my point. My point is that the discipline
    >> of science when employing MthN will be in perpetual conflict with other
    >> disciplines not employing MthN. MthN doesn't stay behind stipulated
    >> boundaries. It will posit natural causes (an infinite number of
    >> universes if need be) in order to explain any phenomenon. And in that
    >> case, it will always be opposed to areas where, say, Christianity,
    >> claims that non-natural causes are involved (e.g. redemptive history,
    >> religious experiences, etc.) Of course one can simply choose to ignore
    >> the deliverances of science in these cases, or subordinate them to
    >> higher sources of authority. But a method that entails perpetual
    >> disagreement between the disciplines just cannot be correct, especially
    >> if we affirm Augustine's principle of the unity of truth. ...................................

    > Actually "multiverse" theories have been around for more like 45 years &,
    more
    >important than the length of time, did not originate with an attempt to explain
    the
    >properties of the universe. Their genesis (in science rather than science
    fiction)
    >was Everett's many worlds interpretation of QM, which was intended to explain
    the
    >measurement process without requiring any collapse of the wave packet.
    > Metaphysical (N.B.) naturalism is a hard and fast dogma which refuses ever
    >consider God as an explanation for anything. At some point, even after hypothesizing

    >the most extravagant multiverse imaginable, it still say why there is something
    rather
    >than nothing.
    > I do not consider _methodological naturalism_ to be that rigid. There would,
    in
    >fact, be no point in making the distinction between the two if methodological
    naturalism
    >were not at least open to the possibility of theistic answers to questions
    at some
    >level. Just what that level is may be open to debate, but when the quest for
    "natural"
    >explanations gets to the point of postulating unobservable entities then it
    seems that
    >that point has been reached. This is all the more so for Christians who are
    not only
    >"open to the possibility of theistic answers to questions at some level" but
    are
    >explicitly committed to them.
    > Speaking for myself, a commitment to methodological naturalism is not just
    >concession to the successes of science. It is a consequence of an understanding
    of what
    >kind of God God is, based on God's revelation in the cross & resurrection of
    Christ. I