Re: Johnson and intelligent design

From: Bryan R. Cross (crossbr@SLU.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 13:53:09 EDT

    David Campbell wrote:

    > >> Dave (Siemens): So one person inserts an impossibility. This is nothing but
    > >> special
    > >> pleading.
    > >
    > >A counterexample is not special pleading. Name one ID proponent who defines
    > >'design' as "direct divine action". I'll lay money on this one ($20). Every
    > >design proponent that I have ever known would instantly acknowledge that
    > >humans can make designs (and of course they would each deny that humans are
    > >divine). If you want to stand by this claim that the ID movement defines
    > >'design' as "direct divine action", then you will have to find a quotation
    > >(not taken out of context) from some notable ID person who claims that all
    > >design is divine design, and that there is no such thing as human design.
    > >Happy hunting.
    >
    > I think you are mixing Davids here, as I used the phrase direct divine
    > action. Humans or aliens as designers would remove the divine component,
    > but I would consider setting things up before the Big Bang to create John
    > 3:16 on the moon as a direct action.
    >
    > I have trouble finding a clear definition of design from notable ID
    > persons, so I do not think such a quote could be found. I do believe,
    > however, that prominent ID advocates are arguing for direct divine action
    > in ways that are theologically and scientifically weak.
    >
    > David C.

    I'm don't think I've mixed Davids (although it is a bit confusing). I know you
    (David C) made the original claim. But when I showed how ID proponents do not
    define design as "direct divine action", David S claimed I was guilty of special
    pleading. So I challenged him to provide some solid evidence to substantiate the
    claim the ID-proponents define design as "direct divine action". I agree that
    prominent ID advocates are arguing for direct divine action, but that is an
    altogether different claim than that they are defining design as direct divine
    action.

    Concerning John 3:16 on the Moon, it seems as though you didn't catch my point. Of
    course setting things up prior to the Big Bang is direct action, but the design on
    the Moon (which ID advocates would surely classify as design) is mediated through
    natural causes. Therefore, this is a counterexample to the claim that ID advocates
    exclude mediated design from the definition of design.

    best,

    - Bryan