Consensus of evolutionary biologists

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 13:38:04 EDT

    >No need to put it in caps. I did not claim that *you said* that the virtual
    >consensus of EBs affirm the undirectedness of evolution. I take it as a fact
    >that
    >at least 98% of EBs would affirm that evolution is undirected. However, Doug
    >Hayworth pointed out this morning that there is an ambiguity in the question
    >which might artificially inflate that number. Yet, even if the survey question
    >distinguished between (1) undirected by the population themselves and (2)
    >undirected by a transcendent intelligent agent, I still believe that at least
    >90%
    >of EBs would say that evolution is undirected by a transcendent intelligent
    >agent.

    One further distinction may be important, namely does the respondent
    believe that it is undirected versus believing that evolution represents a
    challenge to the idea of a transcendent intelligent agent. Steve Gould and
    Eugenie Scott both acknowledge the compatibility of theistic faith and
    evolution despite their own personal views.

    I do not know of any specific survey aimed at the question. The number of
    people expressing a theistic view at the Paleontological Society short
    course on evolution and creation last fall would suggest that the
    percentage is a lot lower, but this is clearly not adequate evidence.
    Exactly whom you consider to be an evolutionary biologist would have some
    effect, though I think unlikely to make the percentage near your estimate.

    David C.