Re: Johnson and intelligent design

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 13:16:22 EDT

    ><< I believe the solution is to approach every problem with a genuine search
    >for natural explanations, but with the willingness to acknowledge the
    >possibility of (direct) divine action. That avoids the error of occasionalism
    >(which you describe as
    >'God-of-the-Gaps theology eating everything up) on the one hand, and the
    >error of
    >methodological naturalism on the other hand. >>
    >
    >It seems to me that this statement sums up the arguments on the thread of
    >"Johnson and intelligent design." Is this not a statement on which we can
    >all agree?

    If methodological naturalism is corrected to metaphysical naturalism, then
    I think it will generally go over well.

    Possibility of direct divine action may need a bit of clarification. That
    God is able to act directly at any point is probably a point of general
    agreement. However, some would advocate theological reasons to believe
    that He does not act directly in certain areas, while maintaining a belief
    in His full sovereignty over those areas. Based on this view, you could
    rule out direct action in these particular areas. Conversely, the Bible
    indicates certain events to have been miraculous, making safe the
    assumption that methodological naturalism will not provide adequate
    explanation. Of course, it could be used to determine exactly what parts
    of the event were miraculous, to the extent we have information. For
    example, Exodus mentions the use of the wind to part the sea, and the
    possibility of the wind parting one of the lakes in the region has been
    confirmed by computer modeling. However, informing Moses of the event in
    advance did not take place naturally.

    David C.