Re: intelligent design

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 15:50:43 EDT

    SteamDoc@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
    > > including superintendence of natural processes; and (2) I do not allow
    > other
    > > persons, especially persons who think in naturalistic categories, to
    > > put their own (vague) words in my mouth - e.g., "if evolution" (
    > > undefined) "turns out to be true" (as determined by reasoning based upon
    > > methodological naturalism?). The question is not what God can do but what
    > the
    > > neo-Darwinian mechanism can do, when its creative power has to be
    > > demonstrated by experiment rather than deduced from naturalistic
    > assumptions.&
    > > nbsp; I do not cooperate with attempts to evade that question."
    > > I think that pretty much settles the question.
    >
    > I think that pretty much evades the question, as Johnson continues to avoid
    > explaining his theology of God's action in nature. He gives lip service to
    > God being able to work through natural processes. The question is, if
    > Johnson's evaluation of the evidence is incorrect and natural evolutionary
    > mechanisms really do explain (at a physical level; I'm not talking about
    > ultimate causation) the development of life (I fail to see what is "vague"
    > about such a statement), does that exclude God from being the Creator.
    > If so, then Johnson, if he is consistent, would also have to say that God is
    > not the creator of stars and mountains, since we have well-verified
    > explanations for their formation in terms of "naturalistic" mechanisms that
    > make no reference to God.
    > If not, then one may argue the evidence for and against Darwinian evolution
    > as a scientific question, but it should have no theological impact. In which
    > case Johnson's arguments are not defense of the faith, but just another
    > argument about whether or not scientific consensus is correct or not, much
    > like his writings on HIV and AIDS.
    >
    > Maybe we could try him on another question:
    > >From a theological standpoint, are explanations of the development of life in
    > terms of "natural" mechanisms incompatible with Christianity? If so, are the
    > "natural" explanations of the formation of mountains in terms of plate
    > tectonics also incompatible with Christianity?
    >
    > I think all the arguments about the scientific evidence are a waste of time
    > until these fundamental philosophical issues about how God is allowed to act
    > in the world, and about what natural explanations "mean" metaphysically, are
    > thought through. Richard Dawkins thinks natural explanations like evolution
    > "mean" that God is not there. I disagree, based on what the Bible says about
    > God's sovereignty over nature. Phil Johnson *appears* to agree with Dawkins
    > on this fundamental view; at least he keeps dodging opportunities to disagree
    > with Dawkins' view of what evolution means. Once one agrees with Dawkins
    > there, one has sold out to semi-deism and must then argue against the science
    > as though the truth of the faith were at stake.

            You are quite right & Johnson's statement:

            "The question is not what God can do but what the neo-Darwinian mechanism can
            do, when its creative power has to be demonstrated by experiment rather than
            deduced from naturalistic assumptions."

    gets it completely wrong. _If_ God could create through a neo-Darwinian mechanism then
    the question of whether or not that mechanism is correct is of purely scientific
    interest & all the rhetoric about the baneful effects neo-Darwinism in itself would
    become pointless. It would then be a matter of pointing out that Dawkins, Provine et al
    draw incorrect inferences from the theory, whether or not it is correct.
            Secondly, PJ's apparent belief that one can do science with "experiment" apart
    from "assumptions" suggest that his understanding of the way science works is pretty
    much on a level with his understanding of theology.
                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com