Re: Preprogrammed?

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 15:39:20 EST

    David Campbell wrote:

    > Looking at Luther, Calvin, Erasmus, and Arminius on this might be more
    > productive than arguing. My own views would endorse the first two. At the
    > current rate, it seems unlikely that we are predestined to resolve this
    > argument here. It may be more helpful to agree that we need to acknowledge
    > both God's sovereignty and our responsibility. It is also important to
    > note that the free will particularly argued against by Luther, etc. is the
    > freedom to choose to follow God of our own initiative rather than because
    > of His work in us. Whether we are able to rebel creatively was not the
    > main issue.

            Yes. The real theological issue at least for Lutherans has not been determinism
    of the Laplacian type or its absence - i.e., whether we have a choice about what to have
    for breakfast, who to vote for &c but whether or not we can by ourselves have "true fear
    of God and true faith in God." & our inability to do so isn't because somehow God has
    constrained us but because we don't _want_ to. That's the problem - our will is
    self-bound!
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com